women in the world.
Our Generous Sponsors
Please read the following disclaimer before entering the website for the first time.
The WomanStats Project compiles data about women from many sources, including inter-governmental organizations, non-governmental organizations, governmental agencies, scholarly articles and books, news reports, and interviews with country experts.
Current Status: We have added several new variable clusters, and have separated Serbia from Montenegro, and Palestine from Israel. Data for these newly added variables and clusters will be sparse to begin with.
1) We cannot vouch for the accuracy of the data, or the validity of opinions expressed in the data; we can only vouch for the accuracy of our compilation of the information from extant, credentialed sources. We do check the credentials of anyone submitting data online. While we are not omniscient, neither are we "wiki."
2) Data we collect from one source may contradict data we collect from another source. We are not in a position to adjudicate which source is more accurate, and we provide all relevant information so that the user may see the range of information given by various credentialed sources and thereby come to their own conclusions.
3) There may be regional, ethnic, or religious variations in the status of women within a particular country that are not captured adequately at the level of national data. We do compile subnational data when that is available.
4) Because certain reports, such as the CEDAW reports, may be found uploaded to the internet in several places, there may be variations in page numbers between what we have cited in the database and the page numbers to be found in particular versions of reports; generally, these will not vary by more than one or two pages.
5) When our system is complete, each entry will note whether the information provided has been proofread by a project supervisor or not. If an entry has not been proofread yet, it is possible there may be typographical or other errors in the entry. We believe that approximately 3% of our bibliographic citations are incomplete or have some citation errors; if you notice any of these problematic citations (or any other errors, such as when nonsense symbols appear, or when there are duplicate entries of data, or typos), we would be grateful to be alerted so that we may rectify the problem.
6) We have not collected information for states with < 200,000 population.
7) If you would like to contribute data or make tax-deductible donations, either would be most welcome! Please click here.
8) If you would like us to collect information on additional variables, or prepare special reports, this can be done for a fee. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
To view the data, you first need to create a free account by clicking here.
To return to the database, click here.
If you have forgotten your login information, click here.